Quick Links

Useful Links

GSO Test

Issues, Concerns and Complaints

What should I do if I have a concern? 

If you have a concern or complaint, please take a look at the table below in the first instance for guidance on who to contact.

Please refer to any relevant policies on our Policies page where required. A copy of our Complaints Policy can also be found there, if needed.

Issue Who to contact How?


  • Concerns about pupil progress
  • Independent Learning/Homework
Subject Teacher or Tutor Phone, letter or email
  • Set changes
  • Concern about Subject Area policy
  • Persistent subject concerns
Leader of Subject Phone, letter or email
  • Pupil absence
  • Tutor group issues
  • Lost property / theft
  • Concerns at home
  • Concerns about pupil relationships
  • Uniform
  • Any form of bullying
  • Persistent pastoral concerns
Tutor or Leader of Year Phone, letter or email
  • SEN support/provision/issues or complaints
Leader of Inclusion Phone, letter or email
  • General information if you do not have a contact name

Reception - 01403 263628 or office@ths.uk.net

Phone, letter or email


Generally made when a parent/carer feels the school has not dealt with their concern satisfactorily

Please refer to our Complaints Policy Please refer to our Complaints Policy


(Please try to follow this guide, rather than escalate too quickly)

  • Tutor/Class Teacher
  • Leader of Year/Subject
  • Senior Leadership Team (SLT)
  • Headteacher
  • Governors

If you need to contact the school, please find details on our Contact Us page.